Still looking for some last minute gifts? I put together this guide of extremely practical, universal, eco-friendly, and vegan-friendly gift items to check those last few people off your list. I have a very different outlook on gifts this year – between my eco-friendly preferences and trying not to bring unnecessary clutter into my space, I told my loved ones that I’d prefer “experience” gifts this year. By that I mean, for example, tickets to a concert that we can attend together, a night out to one of my favorite restaurants that we could enjoy together, or a gift certificate to an organic spa day together. The holidays have increasingly become so focused on material things that we have veered so far away from what this time of year is supposed to be all about. So, while I’d much prefer non-material present swaps this holiday season, my exception to this would be sustainable, vegan-friendly items that give back and that serve a specific need or purpose. I came up with the list below keeping all of those important points in mind:
[Starting clockwise from the upper left hand corner]
- Natural Soapstone + Copper Pots by Cookstone – These pots are made from natural soapstone that is naturally non-stick, which means easy cleanup without any toxic teflon coatings leaking into your food! They also retain heat which helps keep your food warm for up to an hour after cooking. Did I mention how super chic they are too? They will be anything but an eyesore to your beautiful tablescape! Handmade in Brazil. All different shapes and sizes available – prices range from $75 – $175.
- Handmade Healing Crystal Bracelet by LeaSpirit – How stunning?? This is on my own personal Christmas list this year, so I thought I’d include it here for you guys too. This specific bracelet pictured is made from Angel Aura Quartz, Herkimer Diamond, and natural Pyrite on top of a lead-free and nickel-free gold or silver cuff of your choice. These crystals specifically carry healing properties of protection, self-understanding, clearing the Chakras, stimulating intellect, assisting in loving communications, and remembering lessons from past incarnations. Pretty powerful stuff if you ask me! They’re handmade with love by a lovely Etsy shop owner. $59.99
- Alkalizing Water Bottle by DYLN Inspired – Many of us are already familiar with the plethora of health benefits of alkaline water. In a society where many diets are high in acidic foods, alkaline water can provide a nice way for our bodies to get back in balance. However, most of us don’t have a few grand to drop on an in-home filtration system… And buying bottled alkaline water can get very expensive. This is where the DYLN bottle comes in. The bottle has a beaded diffusion system made from natural minerals that not only bring the pH of the water all the way up to a 9.5, but they also infuse the water with antioxidants. Did I mention you’re being extremely eco-conscious by using a reusable bottle and not contributing to unnecessary plastic use? There’s a couple caveats though; they do suggest using filtered water as opposed to tap water to fill your bottle. The beads do not filter the water – they just make it alkaline and infuse it with antioxidants. The other caveat is that the bottle is not available for immediate shipment. It is available for pre-order now and will likely be shipping out sometime in January… So this will have to be a belated Christmas gift. With all of the benefits of this bottle, I personally wouldn’t mind a bit! $36
- Envelope Keychain Card Holder by Denise Roobol – Simple. Vegan. Practical. Timeless. Affordable. What more could you ask for in a perfect gift? Available in a ton of colors, this is the perfect gift for the fashionista [vegan or not!] on your list. I have a similar style keychain card holder and I can’t even tell you how much use I get out of it. I actually use mine instead of a wallet. It’s super compact and minimalistic and keeps you from carrying around a bulky wallet filled with unnecessary receipts and other things that you don’t actually need! They’re lined with recycled denim and available for worldwide shipping. $20
- Bamboo Utensils by Bambu – You guys! These are everything! I don’t know about you, but having to use plastic takeout cutlery seriously puts a small little dagger in my eco-friendly heart every time I resort to doing so. Not only does it contribute to so much unnecessary plastic use and waste in the world (are they even recyclable?!), it’s not even good for your body! Plastic leaks harmful chemicals into the foods we eat, ESPECIALLY when the food is heated. So while you will NEVER find me using a plastic spoon for soup (I’d rather slurp obnoxiously than die a slow plastic-induced death), you can sometimes catch me using a fork for a salad in a dire time of need. But with these organic bamboo utensils, all problems are solved! No toxic plastic chemicals and no unnecessary plastic waste that is contributing to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch! (Please refer to the Plastic Paradise documentary available on Netflix if you are not familiar). Travel set: $15 // Set of 6 Straws: $8.50 // Ashley Morganic dramatics not included.
- Organic Shimmer Scrub by NYL – Ok, usually I would probably respond with a sigh and an eye roll upon seeing some basic and uninteresting store bought scrub on a gift guide. Store bought body scrubs confuse me… I guess mostly because they are so easily DIY’d with natural ingredients in your pantry for pennies – so why would you pay for one from the store that’s packed with so many unnecessary toxic ingredients? However… This one from NYL really caught my eye and intrigued me. It’s made from simple organic ingredients, and supposedly leaves your skin with a heavenly JLo-like glow. And I mean, isn’t that what all of us are just trying to achieve in life? This is another item that’s on my personal wish list this year, so although I have not yet personally tried it, I could imagine any girly girl would be excited to see this gold, shiny glass jar of organic goodness underneath their tree. Plus it doubles as a shaving oil! 8 ounce jar: $38
Sending everyone so much love this holiday season. Be sure to let me know in the comments below if this gift guide helped you out and if you ended up purchasing any of these items!
Lots of eco love,